Award Certificate and Congregation

Collection of Award Certificate

Normally, the award certificates will be ready for collection ten weeks after the official graduation date of each semester/term. The actual graduation date, which varies from year to year, can be found in the Academic Calendar.

Collection Method

You will be informed by email of the start date for collecting your award certificate. After the specified date, you may collect your award certificate at the SGS Taught Postgraduate Student Records Service Counter.

Opening Hours

Monday to Friday 9:00 am - 12:30 pm/1:45 pm - 6:30 pm
Saturday 9:00 am - 12:00 noon
Sunday and Public Holidays Closed

Documents Required for Collection

If collected by yourself in person:

  • Collection email
  • Your CityU Student Identity Card/HKID Card/passport

If collected by your authorized representative:

  • HKID Card/passport of your authorized representative
  • For authorization submitted through AIMS (following the steps here)
    • The email notification for your authorization 
  • For written authorization
    • An authorization letter signed by you (letter template is available here)
    • A photocopy of your CityU Student Identity Card/HKID Card/passport with your student number and programme code written on it (This document will be returned to your authorized representative after inspection.)

Clearance of Outstanding Matters before Collection

Students must clear all outstanding matters with the University (e.g. tuition fees, Library fines/loans, student loans, etc.) before collecting their award certificates. Students who have not cleared all outstanding matters will NOT be allowed to collect the award certificate.

Deadline for Collection

It is the University's policy to retain award certificates for collection up to 31 December of the following year after graduation (e.g. for 2018 graduates, the deadline for collection is 31 December 2019). After that date, all uncollected award certificates will be confidentially disposed without any further notice.

If you wish to get an award certificate afterwards, you will need to apply for a replacement award certificate with a fee at the prevailing rate (currently HK$400) as published in the University's website. Please click here for the procedures for applying for a replacement award certificate.

Notes for Non-local Graduates

You may authorize a person to collect the award certificate on your behalf. Please click here for the documents required.

If you do not have an authorized representative and you are not residing in Hong Kong, please contact us at for further arrangement.

Replacement Award Certificate

The award certificate issued by the University is a unique document. A graduate is only permitted to retain ONE award certificate, including replacement award certificate, for each academic qualification he/she is conferred by the University.

Graduates may apply for a replacement award certificate under the following circumstances:

  1. permanently loss or damage of the original award certificate;
  2. update of name in the case of a legal name change; or
  3. original award certificate was not collected within the period prescribed by the University.

How to Apply

Please complete the application form downloadable here and provide the necessary information and supporting documents as specified in the application form.

Fees Chargeable

The application fee for each replacement award certificate is HK$400.


The University's annual Congregation, where academic awards are ceremonially conferred to graduates of the same academic year, is usually held in November to December. Graduates will normally receive invitation to attend the events and be notified of the details around September to October.

For more information, please visit the Congregation website.