Eng · 中文

Notes for Applicants

* Information is subject to change without prior notice

Submission of an Application

Flow Chart of Submission of an Application for Taught Postgraduate Programme

Programme Information and Entrance Requirements

Please visit the Programme Information for individual programme information including University's General Entrance Requirements, Programme Entrance Requirements and English Proficiency Requirements.

Medium of Instruction and Assessment

The normal medium of instruction and assessment at the University is English.

Application Fee (Non-refundable and Non-transferable)

The application fee for admission to a programme is HK$300 per online application. Please submit additional applications if you wish to apply for more than one programme. The application fee is non-refundable and non-transferable. You are required to pay the application fee online using a credit card (VISA, MasterCard or UnionPay), before submission of the online application.

Tuition Fees

Tuition fees are charged on a credit unit basis. Information on tuition fees for 2018 intake is available under Programme Information for individual programmes.

Other Fees and Charges

Please visit here for details of other fees and charges relating to taught postgraduate studies. (the fees listed are for the current academic year only and are subject to change)

CityU Postgraduate Association (CUPA)

CityU Postgraduate Association (CUPA) is a recognized student body for postgraduates independent of City University of Hong Kong, with its members covering taught postgraduate, professional doctorate and research degree students. All postgraduate students of the University will automatically become members of CUPA upon registration. The membership fee will be collected by the Finance Office on behalf of CUPA and included in the first tuition fee statement issued after enrolment to a programme of study. Students can opt to withdraw from CUPA membership within one month from the due date for the first tuition fee payment and the membership fee will be refunded to them by CUPA. For details about CUPA membership withdrawal, please visit CUPA’s website at http://www.cityupa.org/membership.

Application Period

Please visit here for the up-to-date application schedule of various programmes.  You are required to submit the online application before the specified deadline.

Supporting Documents

The documents to be submitted in supporting your application are listed under the Section on “Supporting Document” in the online application. No hard copy of supporting documents will be acceptedApplicants are required to upload the supporting documents online.  Please note the following while you are preparing the required documents:

  • Please upload by yourself the required supporting documents of your academic and / or professional qualifications (such as academic transcripts with explanations of GPA grading system showing the maximum GPA obtainable (e.g. A=4.0) if a 100-mark system is not adopted and award certificates, examination / English test results, etc.) before submitting your application. Documents unrelated to academic qualifications (e.g. HKID card) need not to be submitted. (Normally the information on grading system is found presented on the back page of the academic transcripts)

  • Submitted documents will not be returned.
  • Transcripts and certificates which are not in English should be accompanied by an official certified translation.
  • It is your responsibility (including CityU students) to provide full information to facilitate the evaluation of your application. Incomplete submission may delay the processing of the application.
  • Selection decisions will mainly be based on the qualifications set out in your application. Additional information/documents provided to the University after the commencement of the selection process may or may not be considered, at the discretion of the relevant department.
  • It is your responsibility to provide true and valid information / documents in support of your application. Original documents (including CityU qualifications and public examination results) should be presented for verification upon request by the University at a later time. Provision of any false or misleading information as identified by the University before or after the admission offer, or failure to supply the original documentation for verification will lead to disqualification of the admission application and any offer / enrolment made will be rescinded. All fees paid will not be refunded.

Application Acknowledgement, Processing and Results

  1. An acknowledgement message will be shown online immediately after an applicant has successfully settled the application fee via online payment. In addition, an acknowledgement email will be sent to the applicant upon receipt of his/her online application.
  2. Depending on the programme you apply for, applications may be reviewed on a rolling basis during the application period or in batches after the application deadline.
  3. Applicants can check the application result online and download the offer package for successful applications through their application account.
  4. If you are successful in your application, we will send you an email notification reminding you to check the application account for view and download of the offer letter as well as completing the required procedures for offer acceptance. No hardcopy of letter will be sent to applicants.

Flow Chart for Accepting Offers of Taught Postgraduate Programmes

Multiple Applications

  1. If you wish to apply for more than one programme, click the 'Apply for a New Programme' button after logging into your application account.
  2. If you have applied for more than one programme, your programme choices will receive the same priority in our processing. Please note that if you receive more than one admission offer from the University, you can choose to enroll in one programme only.

Change of Contact Information

Please login your online application to update your correspondence address, email address and contact phone number at anytime. It is important that the email address you provided is correct as successful applicants will be informed by email notification to download the offer letter available on their application account. No hardcopy of the offer letter will be sent to successful applicants.

Use of Application Information Collected

1. The information that you provide in the application, including the HKID card/passport/travel document number, examination results and qualifications, will be used for the following purposes:
(a) as a basis for various types of processing in relation to your application;
(b) as a basis for the selection of applicants for admission to the programmes offered by the University and for other relevant or related purposes;
(c) for obtaining from the relevant examination authority, assessment body or academic institution in Hong Kong and elsewhere information about your public examination results, records of studies or professional qualifications if deemed appropriate;
(d) for carrying out checks of your applications, and any records of studies in the University and other institutions in Hong Kong and elsewhere if deemed appropriate;
(e) for transferring relevant data to the student record system of the University upon the successful outcome of your application;
(f) for statistical and research purposes (with personal identifiers removed);
(g) for direct marketing of the University’s programme and activities (if deemed appropriate).
2. In accordance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, you have the right of access to and the right of correction of the information contained in the application form, and the right to request a copy of such data during the admission exercise. If you wish to obtain more information, please write to the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies. You may be charged a fee for each request. Data of applicants other than those successfully enrolled will be destroyed at the end of the admission exercise.

Applicants with Physical or Other Disabilities

The admission of an applicant to the University is based on academic criteria and other specified entrance requirements. If you have a physical or other disability, you are not required to declare this at the application stage. However, if you need assistance regarding your application (e.g. to attend an interview), you may discuss your needs with us for special arrangement to be made if practicable.


If a student is readmitted to the same programme after withdrawal, termination of studies, or completion of an intermediate award, his/her previous period of study will be counted in the calculation of his/her maximum period of study. The student's credit units and grades previously earned from the same programme are normally counted in the GPA calculation. The final decision on acceptance of credit units and grades rests with the respective academic unit.

Credit Transfer

  1. Transferred credit units must have been earned no earlier than eight years before enrolment at the University. Individual academic units may stipulate a more stringent requirement for transferred credit units, as deemed appropriate.
  2. Starting from Semester A 2018/19, at least 70% of the credit units required for an award of the University must be earned by the successful completion of courses required by the programme concerned. This new requirement will apply to students admitted in Semester A 2018/19 and thereafter.

Simultaneous Registration

Unless otherwise approved by the University, students are not permitted to enrol in an additional CityU programme or government-funded programme/place.

Current CityU Students (Programme Transfer)

In general, current CityU students who wish to change their programme of study to another programme of the same level may submit an application for programme transfer. Programme Transfer Application Form is obtainable from the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies.  For details including the maximum period of study, please refer to the information on programme transfer.

Information for CityU Staff

For CityU staff seeking application for admission, normal admission procedures will apply.

Information for International/Non-local Students

Non-local students are persons who require a student visa/entry permit issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department to study in Hong Kong. Persons holding any of the following documents issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department are considered as local students:

  • "Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card" (as distinguished from a "Hong Kong Identity Card")
  • Dependent visa
  • Full-time employment visa/work permit (for part-time study)
  • One-way permit for entry to Hong Kong
  • Entry visa/entry permit for quality migrants
  • Entry visa/entry permit for capital investment entrants
  • Visa under Immigration Arrangements for Non-local Graduates (IANG Visa)
  • Other documents issued by the Hong Kong immigration department certifying the applicant’s ‘right of abode’ or ‘right to land’ in Hong Kong

Student Visa/Entry Permit

  1. Persons who do not have the right of abode or right to land and wish to enter Hong Kong for the purpose of education are required by law to obtain a valid student visa/entry permit issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department before going to Hong Kong.  It is the student’s responsibility to obtain a valid student visa/entry permit before arrival, and to comply with the terms and conditions of the visa/entry permit. If you are unable to present a valid student visa/entry permit which corresponds to the programme you intend to study, you will not be allowed to enroll in our programme. If you are holding or have applied for a student visa/entry permit but subsequently decided to take up another programme, you may need to apply for a new student visa. Please consult our Global Services  Office for advice on your actions required for obtaining the appropriate student visa/entry permit. CityU graduates holding an extended student visa/entry permit of the previous programme should apply for another student visa/entry permit for enrolment in the newly admitted programme.
  2. Students admitted from overseas countries should direct their applications for a visa to the Chinese Embassy or Consulate General in their place of residence or to the Immigration Department of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).  As part of the application for a visa, applicants are required to nominate a Hong Kong resident aged 18 or above to act as a sponsor. Those who have difficulty in nominating a sponsor may write to the University to act in this capacity. For mainland students, they should submit their application for student visa/entry permit via the University who will be required to act as the sponsor for their study. For information on visa/entry permit application, please consult our Global Services Office at http://www.cityu.edu.hk/gso/cns_stdvisa.htm.
  3. In accordance with the regulations of the Immigration Department in Hong Kong, students holding a student visa / entry permit for studying in Hong Kong are allowed to undertake part-time paid employment during their stay in Hong Kong under stipulated conditions.
  4. If you need advice on visa requirements, please consult the Hong Kong Immigration Department, HKSAR.  For advice on arrangement of application for student visa, please consult the Global Services Office.

Personal Accident and Medical Insurance/Travel Insurance

It is mandatory for all non-local students to have suitable and adequate insurance which should include but not limited to travel, personal accident, medical expenses (accident and non-accident), hospitalization and emergency evacuation/repatriation throughout the entire period of their studies in Hong Kong. For further information, please visit the Global Services Office.

Cost of Living

The cost of living in Hong Kong is generally high. The estimated basic cost of living for a single student is around HK$10,000 to HK$19,000 per month to cover food, lodging and general living expenses, depending on the type of accommodation selected and level of living and personal expenses. The above estimate does not include the tuition fee which may vary by programme depending on the credit load to be taken.

Student Accommodation

Except that students offered government-funded places for the Postgraduate Certificate in Law programme (PCLL) are eligible to apply for student residence, all taught postgraduate students should seek off-campus accommodation as early as possible before arrival at Hong Kong.  Details about off-campus accommodation are available at http://www.cityu.edu.hk/sro/htm/e_off-campus.htm.

Cancellation of Programme

The University reserves the right to cancel any programmes, in which case all fees paid by applicants will be refunded.

Apply Online Now