Eng · 中文
Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies

Visiting Research Students


Students enrolling in a postgraduate programme in a recognized university may apply for admission as visiting research students to pursue part of their research studies in the University. Those who do not fall within this category may also apply, and their applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

For more details, please refer to Guidelines Governing the Admission of Visiting Research Students.

Study Period and Supervisory Arrangement

The minimum study period for visiting research students should not be less than two months and the maximum study period should normally be one year. Applications for a study period of more than one year or for subsequent extension of study will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Each visiting research student will be attached to a Department, which is responsible for supervising the student's study at the University. Departments will assign a faculty member to be the supervisor of a visiting research student, who will provide academic advice and guidance to the student's progress throughout his or her stay at the University.

Application Fee (Non-refundable and Non-transferable)

A non-refundable fee of HK$200 is charged for each application. You are required to pay the application fee online using a credit card (VISA or MasterCard), before submission of the online application.

Application Period

Applications for visiting research study are accepted throughout a year. As the processing of student visa will normally require 3 months, you are advised to submit the online application at least 4 months before the proposed visiting study period. The online application system is available from 1 February 2016 onwards.

Supporting Documents

The documents to be submitted in supporting your application are listed under the Section on “Supporting Documents” in the online application. Please note the following while you are preparing the required documents:

  • Please upload the required supporting documents of your academic and / or professional qualifications (such as academic transcripts and award certificates, examination / English test results, certifying letter of your current programme of study etc.) before submitting your application. Documents unrelated to academic qualifications (e.g. HKID card or passport) need not be submitted.
  • Submitted documents will not be returned.
  • Transcripts and certificates which are not in English should be accompanied by an official certified translation.
  • It is your responsibility to provide full information to facilitate the evaluation of your application. Incomplete submission may delay the processing of the application.
  • Original documents (including CityU qualifications and public examination results) should be presented for verification upon enrolment. Provision of any false or misleading information or failure to supply the original documentation for verification will lead to disqualification of the application and enrolment made will be rescinded. All fees paid will not be refunded.


An applicant who has been offered admission should pay a research component fee upon enrolment and complete the registration procedures in person at the Chow Yei Ching School of Graduate Studies within the specified registration period. A visiting student identity card, valid for the period of the student's stay at the University, will be issued on completion of the registration procedures.

Such students will not be registered in a specific programme of study, and their study at the University will not lead to a degree or other awards of the University. At the end of their stay with the University, they will be issued an academic report.

Study-related Fees

The following fees are applicable to visiting research students:

Academic Year 2017 - 18 (September 2017 - August 2018)

Types of Fee Mode of Study Remarks
Full-time Part-time
Research component fee

HK$1,170 per calendar month

  • Non-refundable
  • To be paid upon student registration
Fee for visiting research students taking taught courses

Per credit unit tuition fee at the fee level for the relevant programme

  • Non-refundable
  • To be paid before the deadline stipulated by the University

Please note the following:

  • Fees, once paid, are non-refundable.
  • Fees are subject to revision from time to time without prior notification.


Visiting research students may undertake taught courses as regular students do. A fee calculated on a credit unit basis will be charged for the course(s) taken.

The coursework assessment results will be recorded in the academic report issued to visiting research students at the end of their stay at the University.

Responsibility and Entitlement

Visiting research students must observe the rules and regulations prescribed by the University.

They are eligible to apply for residential accommodation available on campus at their own expense (subject to availability). They can also gain access to essential academic services and facilities (e.g. library, computing services) at the University.

Such students are not entitled to any financial assistance/award offered by the University, such as Postgraduate Studentships and Research Tuition Scholarships. They are also not eligible for medical and dental benefits. Therefore, students are strongly advised to acquire travel insurance, and any other medical or insurance coverage they consider necessary for their stay in Hong Kong.

At the end of their study at the University, visiting research students will be issued an academic report, detailing, amongst other things, their period of stay at the University and the coursework, if any, they have undertaken.

Within one month upon completion of visiting research studies, students are required to complete Form SGS20 "Report on Visiting Studies at CityU" and a "Survey on Expectations and Experience of Visiting Research Students at CityU"

Non-local Applicants [same for International & Mainland Students]

Non-local students must obtain a student visa or an entry permit to study in Hong Kong.  If you need advice on visa requirements, please consult the HK Immigration Department, HKSAR.  For applicants from the Mainland, Taiwan and Macao, the cumulative duration of short-term studies taken up by any student should not exceed 180 days within any 12-month period.  If you need further information, please refer to HK Immigration Department's Guidebook for Entry for Study in Hong Kong.