Applications for Taught Postgraduate Programmes are accepted starting from 15 November 2017.
|Year of Entry||2018|
|Mode of Funding||Non-government-funded|
|Mode of Programme||Full time|
|Class Schedule||Normally day sessions|
|Indicative Intake Target||115|
|Minimum No. of Credits Required||72|
|Normal Duration of Programme||
Students will commence study in Semester A 2018-19
(3 September 2018).
|Maximum Study Period||5 years|
|Programme Website||Click here to open|
|Tuition Fee||Click here for more information|
31 Mar 2018 (Local & Non-local)
|Mode of processing||Applications are processed on a rolling basis. Review of applications will start before the deadline and continue until all places are filled. Early applications are therefore strongly encouraged.|
Dr Mark KIELSGARD
BA [George Mason University (Phil. Government), Fairfax, Virginia, USA]; JD [Rutgers University School of Law, Camden, New Jersey, USA]; LLM [St.Thomas University School of Law, Miami, Florida, USA]; JSD [St. Thomas University School of Law, Miami, Florida, USA]; Post Graduate Studies [Phil (George Mason University), Int’l Criminal Law (Salzburg University Law School, Leiden University Law School, National University of Ireland, Galway)]
+852 3442 7624
|Programme Associate Director||
Dr Jojo MO
LLB (University of Hull); LLM (King’s College London); PhD (Monash University)
+852 3442 8366
+852 3442 8008 (Phone)
+852 3442 0190 (Fax)
To provide a well-rounded legal education to those who already possess a first degree in a non-law discipline (or a law degree from a non-common law jurisdiction) and who wish to enter the legal profession in Hong Kong or who want to equip themselves for a career in law-related employment.
The School of Law prepares you for the legal profession and for law-related careers in the public service and private enterprise. Our law degree particularly meets the need of those who would like to join the legal profession in Hong Kong, or look for other law-related opportunities in Mainland China and the Asia-Pacific region.
To be eligible for admission, you must satisfy the following entry requirements:
a bachelor's degree in a non-law discipline; or
a bachelor's degree in law from a non-common law jurisdiction, which was obtainable after at least eight semesters of full-time study. Holders with a degree in law from a common law jurisdiction are NOT eligible to apply.
English Proficiency Guidelines
For applicants whose entrance qualification is obtained from an institution where the medium of instruction is not English, the minimum English language proficiency requirement will be:
(The School has stipulated a validity period of three years for results of the above tests. Applicants are required to provide their English test results obtained within the three years preceding the commencement of the University's application period.)
In order to graduate, JD students must complete 72 credits comprising:
Core courses required for admission to the Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (PCLL) Programme and the legal profession in Hong Kong are:
JD students have an option to specialise in any one of the following areas:
The Juris Doctor (JD) is a degree recognized to apply for admission to PCLL, a programme that should be completed to enter the legal profession in Hong Kong.
• CityU Law School is the first law school in Hong Kong that offered the JD programme
• You can complete JD with CityU and LLM with University Paris 1 in three years
• You can study intensive summer courses in different countries: University College Oxford (U.K.), University of Münster (Germany)* and Monash University (Australia)*
• You will have the opportunity to join Legal Placements in HK law firms, banking and international companies, courts in mainland China and overseas NGO
• You will have the opportunity to receive extensive professional training to sharpen advocacy skills and to participate in international mooting competitions
• You will have the opportunity to join exchange studies at an overseas university in Canada, China, France, Germany, Ireland, Korea, Singapore, Sweden, Taiwan, the Netherlands, the U.K. and the U.S.
• You may interact with world-class scholars on cutting-edge issues without leaving the CityU campus
• Some courses have been included in the list of reimbursable courses for Continuing Education Fund (CEF). For application details, please refer to http://www.wfsfaa.gov.hk/cef/en/index.htm
• Admission scholarship
• Financial support is provided to students for participation in overseas-learning activities, mooting competitions and overseas placements
• One-credit elective courses taught by renowned scholars
(* The arrangement is pending for renewal.)